Friday, July 23, 2010

Agility training day

I have just gotten back from a fantastic training day with Toni Dawkins. We had a wonderful morning which I really got alot out of. After our last attempt at a training day ending with me in tears (dont ask!), I am sooo chuffed with how the monster dog did today. When we first arrived Tooheys was quite stressy but relaxed fairly quickly and was more focussed than he has been, fast and tried his little butt off for me. Although the same cant be said for me at times.

My highlight today was creating a very very tight line on a snake (serpentine/flick-flack/whatever) with no time wasted and no confusion on the dogs part. What I really need to practice now is cueing turns properly (I tend to over-drive the dog forward or turn too early) and standing up straight - yes, I have been working on that one for years and still not there yet! Meanwhile our broken weaves seem to have fixed themselves - they are almost fast and close to independent - but our dogwalk contacts have proven to be less proofed than I thought. More work needed there.

To anyone who gets the opportunity to get to a training session with Toni, and hasnt yet, I highly reccomend it. She is brilliant at evaluating handling to ensure the dog takes the fastest line and you get the most out of any dog. As well as being very encouraging to the handler. Looking forward to the next one now!

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

Sounds like a brill session, well done both of you :)