Earlier in the year I was looking at the details of the World dog show and thought it would be interesting to visit, especially as it was going to be held in Paris this year making it quite accessible. Then I had the crazy idea that maybe just maybe I could enter Finn. I mean when else in this life time would I get an opportunity to show at this huge event.
So on the thursday 7th we boarded the ferry and headed across to France. Of course justto keep me on my toes my car started complaining the night before - too late to get it to the mechanic before we went - so I just had to take my chances, and we took it slow.
So after a drive that took alot longer than it should we arrived in Paris, and thenspent a good hour driving round in circles trying to find my hotel, as roadworks in the area gave my sat nav a hissy fit. Eventually we made it & settled in for the night.
Up very early on thefriday morningto get to the showgrounds for 7am to allow myself time to work out what on earth we were doing. There were actually 2 shows going on over the 4 days - the World Show, and the French Championship - with french champ classes being judged in the morning and the world show (different breeds) in the afternoons, making for very long days.
We got to the showgrounds to find total chaos. Just getting into the carpark was a mission in itself. And the 15 min walk from the carpark to the buildings was a stressful exercise of avoiding the masses of dog poo all over the roads and trying to make our way amongst lots of very pushy people with all the dogs crammed in tight together. I'm sooo glad I made the decision to put Tooheys in kennels rather than taking him. He would have completely panicked with the whole experience.
Inside the building & it was a matter of finding a small bit of floor space to set up our crate & dump our stuff. Gradually the floor space disappeared under the masses of dogs, people and stuff! You can imagine my surprise when after going for a short walk midmorning (and leaving Finn in her crate) I came back to find someone had set up their own crate right in front of the door of mine ..so I couldnt even get Finn out. So much for a little consideration!!!
Our judging for the French champ classes was over & done with quite early that morning. Finn only managed 2nd/2 but she just wasnt 'right' and I dont think deserved any better.
That then gave me the rest of the morning to wander through the halls, take a look at the trade stands (alot there, but not on the scale of crufts..), and ogle and the many breeds that I had never even heard of let alone seen before.
We left early afternoon to head back to the hotel. Which then gave me the evening to head into Paris itself & wander the streets. From theLouvre to the Arc de triomphe then across to the Seine. I have to say I totally understand the appeal of Paris seeing it at this time of year, as appose to the middle of winter when I had been previously.
Saturday gave us a slight sleep in before heading back to grounds for our World Show classes. A slightly more pleasant experience getting in as there wasnt everyone all trying to get in at once. As it turned out the cattle dog judging didnt even start until very late (we had many many Czechaslovakian Wolf Dogs being judged before us...) and we werent done until 8pm. What a long day!
Finni was far more settled in the ring and managed 3rd out of 7 dogs. I was quite happy with that given that the judge excused at least 10 other cattle dogs from the ring (why, Im still not quite sure) & half expected the same to happen to us. Even more so as when I discovered I had left my shoes in the car it was too late to go back and get them. Which meant going in the show ring at this very prestigous event in my crocs! Half way around and I lost one shoe, so decided it was easier (and far safer!) to go bare footed. What a sight I must have made!!
Sunday we began the cautious drive back to Calais and spent the evening there before boarding the ferry back the next morning. And as luck would have it my car decided it was healthy again on arriving back in the UK!

1 comment:
Crikey what an adventure, well done you and Finn!!! :)
Post a Comment