Saturday, May 26, 2012

Who needs relationship building!

What a glorious weekend in the south west.

I had booked Finn into a 'relationship day' workshop at DevonDogs today in preparation for agility summer camp in a few months. So yesterday with the sun shining we left the city to head south. Unfortunately I didnt get away quite as early as I wanted and found myself stuck in god-aweful motorway traffic (I think which may mark the start of school holidays??) in the hot sun and air conditioning broken. Fun. Eventually we made it to Devon though and made a bee-line to one of the dog friendly beaches. Brilliant plan, not so brilliant planning.. got there and started walking the coastal path but never actually found the entrance to the beach itself. Never mind, as looking down on the beach it looked quite busy & cramped and instead we had the fields above to ourselves.


We spent the night at a nice B&B that we had to ourselves , and in the morning headed to he equestrian centre where the workshop was held. We started the day with a 121 lesson focussing on Control unleashed stuff and then the workshop itself which focused on a range of foundation work that complemented what I have been doing with Finn nicely. Im thrilled with how well Finn worked & how she coped with the new environment. For the most part she was totally focussed on me and only once felt the need to pull at another dog. I can't say how much of a confidence boost it is to know that Im on the right track with our training and to work with people who are experienced in the training programs/exercises that I'm trying to base my training on. I'm lucky to have great agility trainers that I love, but what I would give to be closer to Devon to have access to group classes like this on a regular basis! So totally worth the 3hr drive back home in the piercing heat to get back to work tomorrow..



No comments: