Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Busy week

Its that time of year where Crufts roles around again so I went up on thursday for the day to have a look round. I had been talked into entering Hollie before she became unwell, but even though shes doing exceptionally well I decided not to take her - didnt think her very bald belly would do her any favours in the show ring, and besides it was that much easier to enjoy myself and not have to worry about a dog that frets in large crowds. I spent the morning shopping (an spending far too much money!) whilst waiting for the cattledogs to be on in the afternoon. Unfortunately it was so late that they started that I didnt get to see much (such as agility) in the main arena.

On saturday I decided to head to a UKA agility show, not too far from me, since they offer enter on the day and I could assess the layout of rings before forking over money for runs that may not suit. I have only done the one UKA show in the past but I really enjoy them..they are smaller than KC shows while still having a decent entry, and they offer progression through the levels based on clear rounds as well as placings. I really must look at doing more.

I was very happy with Tooheys. I used his gamblers run to proof his contacts (I had no intention of doing the gamble as it was set) and boy did he nail them! Its the first time hes seen contacts in a competition ring since we started his retraining, and he really showed a very solid understanding of them. That in itself made me a very happy trainer.
Come his jumping run I was caught off guard. He only has to jump 550mm in UKA (as apose to 650 KC) and boy did he fly, I dont think Ive ever seen him so fast. Halfway around the course he was a good 3-4 jumps in front of me. I cant decide whether I like it or not. It did mean I ended up stopping mid run as the queue waiting to run went right across the finish line and I couldnt risk him being so far infront of me heading into the crowd of dogs.
Unfortunately I had to head back to work so didnt get to do his steeplechase run.

Hollie also got a turn since at UKA she only has to jump 400. I was undecided whether to enter her in any runs given her past few months, but after having done no agility in 6+ months she was sooo excited to be out there. She got 2nd in beginners steeplechase 1, and a 3rd in gamblers despite not completing the gamble. She had an awesome run in steeplechase 2 and was truly flying, but her silly handler pulled her off a jump.

Now I have a busy week ahead of me getting everything in order before the dogs go to kennels and I head back to Aus for a month.

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Brilliant that Hollie's feeling well enough to play agility! Go Hollie!! & well done Tooheys too :)

Kylie said...

Hollie says thanks Kirsty, shes feeling fantastic. Although perhaps not so fantastic at the prospect of going to kennels in a few days time.