Friday, September 26, 2008

Arriving in Toronto

Tues 16th we flew from Gatwick to Toronto for our first leg of the american trip, and all in all things went fairly smoothly. I flew over with Air Transat airlines, and while the airline doesnt accept dogs booked directly with them in or out of the UK due to quarantine restriction, I as able to book the dogs on the same flight through Ladyhaye.

The dogs were dropped off 3 hours before the flight, and made it on with no problems. The only problems arrose when it came time to pick the dogs up. Firstly it took some time to find the building the dogs needed to be picked up from. ..then we had to wait for paperwork to be signed off on (the only requirement for flying into canada is rabies vacc which the pet passports proved). When the paperwork finally arrived we had to take it to Border protection to have it processed by customs. It was at that point I got grilled by a rather unfriendly customs officer (yes I know I'm one of the few crazy people that would take dogs on a 6 week international holiday) and told we'd have to wait for someone from agriculture to sign off on the paperwork before we could pick up the dogs. And in typical fashion that person from agricultue wasnt free at that point in time. So 3 hours later everything was all processed and the dogs finally got to be let out of their crates. I am just eternally greatful for Kim who picked me up from the airport and beared with me through the whole process even though she had much better places to be.

My time in Toronto was short but very enjoyable. Kim & Derek, two absolutely wonderful people along with their two ACDs Feral and Phoenix, kindly opened up their house to us and made my stay unforgetable.
Meanwhile my two dogs thought the living arrangements were great. Staying in a basement means lots of stairs to tear up and down, extra people around to give them attention, and lots of squirels outside to fascinate over.


Toronto from the CN tower

No comments: