Last weekend I had got to trial at the Stour Valley agility show. It was a smaller (only 5 rings) local show, and while the weather left alot to be desired (I was glad I decided not to camp..), it was a very enjoyable weekend.
I have to first mention Hollie. She had one run in Allsorts jumping (low jumps) on sunday, and it was a brilliant run. She saved me big time when I went to send her over the wrong jump second from the end. Thankfully she managed to correct herself at the last minute to take the right jump. Its moments like those this dogs worth her weight. She ended up getting 6th place which I was stoked with. I'm still suprised she even got a place given the allsorts courses are quite basic & flowing and suit the fast longer striding dogs.
I am extremely happy with how Tooheys ran over the weekend. And for the most part we were a team all weekend (rather than the usual bits & pieces of team work). He kicked his speed up a gear compared to how hes been running up until now - he was just as fast, if not faster, than what he is over the lower aussie jumps and I had to work hard to be in position to support him. I even had several people we train with comment on how fast he was running. A large part of it is due to his confidence in what is required of him growing, and I could even see his confidence build over the weekend. And that in turn really helped my confidence.
His biggest problem over the weekend was his weavepole entries. With his new found speed he was hitting the entries so fast that he had trouble sticking the 3rd pole, especially when I went to cross behind him. Ok, so I've been told that I am continually crowding him at the entry to the weaves which is making it difficult for him to collect himself. Perhaps as usual the problem is with the handler and not with the dog. Once in the weaves though he was extremely consistant & extremely fast.
Our other problem point was his startline stays (again..) Saturday they were wonderful, but sunday they deteriorated. I got the opportunity on 2 runs to take him back. I have to keep reminding myself that over here you can go back to the dog (and even touch the dog) to reposition them after you have left them at the start. It is so difficult doing something that is a big no-no back home.
Both our problems were repeatable at training on monday, so we got the opportunity to work on them, and I think we were starting to make real progress. Its so nice to have a consistant problem that I can then work on, rather than being something unpredictable every run.
And he got all his contacts all weekend!!

First run for the weekend was jumping which was a brilliant run. He hit the weaves beautifully at
speed. The most logical spot for a side change with the tunnels was between the two. However I was worried that second time round if I was to rear cross between the 2 tunnels he would come out of the second one heading the wrong direction. So I tried to cross before the first one (16) and ended up pulling him off the entry. Bad handler! Despite the time wasted for the refusal that resulted he was still only 4 sec off the winner (who incidently was our instructor..), which means without a refusal he would have been in standing for a very good placing.
Again a nice run on agility. The entry angle to the weaves was tough for a G1-3 course, and the only real option was to cross behind them. Unfortunately Tooheys got the entry then turned to see where I was & missed pole 3, which was his only fault.
Everyone commented that the difficulty of this course was innapropriate for the level. It was bairly a G4 course, let alone a G1, but it still got a very high clear run rate. It was very tight in spots and definately suited tight turning dogs. Again our only problem was the weaves - I pulled him off the entry, then he missed the last pole.
Jump 10-11 was very tight spacing compared to the others in the line of obstacles 7 -12, and required the dogs to adjust their pace. The most efficient way was to bounce jump beteen them, but I was extremely happy to see Tooheys back himself off jump 11 & adjust his stride where as even a month ago he would have just tried to jump & likely knocked the bar. That showed me that he really is getting alot more confidence about his job.
I made a mess of this course. Tooheys was driving onto the weaves and I panicked & called him off. Likewise I called him off the last jump because there was another dog standing on the finish line. Everything in between was nice though...
Again, our only fault was not sticking the weave entries, earning him a refusal.
And guess what.. yet another course where our only fault was the weave entry.





No comments:
Post a Comment