Monday, November 10, 2008

Back to canada

I really do need to get this up to date, given we've been back for a week now...

From the herding trial we headed back up to Toronto to spend the night at Kim & Dereks whilst finalising all the arangements to fly the dogs out. That in itself turned out to be a little bit of a nightmare.

I thought the dogs pet passports were sufficient to fly the dogs back into the EU, I just needed a vet certificate to say they could fly. I was advised by CFIA however(Canadian equivelent of AQIS/Defra) that I needed to get a certificate for import into the EU.
So that involved first going to a regular vet (thanks to Kim for lining me up with their vet..) 24-48hrs prior to travel and getting a vet check, checking proof of rabies vacc & titre and having paperwork filled out. No where did it specify whether or not france required tick and worm treatment done as the UK does, so we did that too just incase (I now know that they dont need it..).
From there the completed paperwork had to be taken to the CFIA office for them to certify it. Unfortunately the CFIA vet was a little confused by the rabies paperwork (given that it was done in aus) and needed to keep it overnight to check on it. So back to the CFIA in the morning to pick up the paperwork, only for them to tell me one of the dates was wrong on the paperwork and that I had to take it back to the vet to change it....even though I had the originals there for CFIA to view. Boy was I fuming by that stage. So a long drive back to the vet, and then back to CFIA again to give it the stamp of approval.

And the most frustrating point is that when we finally arrived in France their paperwork was never even checked!!! And I still think had it been the pet passports would have been sufficient - and I could have saved myself time & money.

No comments: