Wednesday, February 11, 2009

White Peaks

Im spending my few days off this week in the Peak District. Staying at a quant little B&B in the White peaks region of the park - the area is very white at the moment and not due to the limestone that in the rocks that gives them their name.

Today I took the dogs for a 15 mile (~25km) hike which was truly beautiful. Im really impressed by how well the dogs held up, but even Tooheys who had the job of carrying the near-empty dogpack was lagging by the end..something I never thought Id see. You know he's tired when he only walks at the end of the lead at the scent of a rabbit rather than lunging.

From the B&B we headed up the Tissington trail, a 13m trail that runs along the site of an old trainline, which was quite easy walking


Halfway up the trail, we cut across for a few miles along a right of way, heading towards a trail called Biggin dale. Little did I realise this would involve going (or should I say sliding) down hilly slope and then climbing back up again, but was certainly worth it! By this point in time my so-called waterproof shoes decided they werent meant for snow and leaving me with soggy cold feet.



Eventually we made it to Wolfscote dale at which point we followed the river the length of the Dovedale trail. By this point my camera was struggling a little with the snow & rain that had landed on the lense so theres not so many photos to subject you to :)



The styles along the length of the dales were stupid little gaps in stone that I could barely fit between, and Tooheys needed help to be lifted over. At one of the styles I finished hoisting Toos over to turn around and find Hollie in the river. As if it wasnt cold enough with the snow, she had to launch herself into the ice cold water. And she wasnt content with that, it took what felt like forever to convince her to get out of the water all the while heading towards some rapids. Stupid bloody dog.

No comments: