Friday, February 27, 2009

Back to agility

After several months away from training we finally get to get back into it. Now that I have some semi-stability for the next few months here in West Yorkshire, I could finally think about taking Tooheys to training. We havent done anything since leaving Kent all those months ago. And as it turns out things worked out pretty well as we are not too far from another ACD trainer who has the top ACD in agility. And we were invited to join training with them at Whiterose Agility Club. Many thanks to the club!!

We went down the first time this week and were made feel very welcome. I was expecting Tooheys to be a little slower due to being out of condition, but he was excited to be back to it and blasted around. And Forget start line stays! I think I had to replace him just about everytime.

We got to practice some slightly complex jumping sequences, and although alot of our turns were pretty wide - we need to learn how to walk the fine line between driving on/distance work and turning tightly/close worm..we seem to either have one or the other at the moment - I was pretty proud of how well Tooheys handled them.


On the other hand, at the other end of the arena they had a couple of sequences set up with contacts, and had the dogs working along side each other..it blew Tooheys mind to concentrate on one contact while another dog was doing another along side him. Needless to say he got left on lead for that part! I do think in the long run it will be brilliant training for him though to have to learn how to cope with such a situation.

No comments: