Saturday, August 8, 2009

A welsh kind of holiday

Fastforward several weeks from our last holiday and last week we found ourselves on the road again. I had planned a trip to europe for the week but was unable to get the dogs into kennels so we headed to Wales instead.

I spent the start of the week on the Pembrokeshire coast, just north of St Davids, where I found a lovely small camping ground not far from the coastal path. With great plans of a long hike along the coastal path on the tuesday we headed off. Unfortunately the rain set in and with no shelter found ourselves soaked through in no time.


Thankfully the next day the sun came out and we had a glorious long hike along the path further south.






Mid week we then headed to north wales to the beautiful Snowdonia national park.







Thursday I had the big ambition of climbing Mt Snowdon, the 2nd highest mountain in britain (after Ben Nevis which we have already done). Ill admit to taking the "easy" route, that vaguely mirrors the steam train line, as I was worried about how Hollie would handle the climb. She took it all in her stride though and showed no signs of struffling, although did finish the walk with a scuffed (and bleeding) nail. It was a beautiful day for it and I thoroughly enjoyed the walk, despite being stiff and sore the next few days.







The last night was spent near Conwy, on the north welsh coast. We set up camp on an open camping field in walking distance of the beach...only for gale force winds to set in overnight and blow several tents away and snap the poles of mine!!

No comments: